2/26/12

Laughing with Kafka: DFW

"Alas," said the mouse, "the world is growing smaller every day. At the beginning it was so big that I was afraid, I kept running and running, and I was glad when at last I saw walls far away to the right and left, but these long walls have narrowed so quickly that I am in the last chamber already, and there in the corner stands the trap that I must run into," "You only need to change your direction," said the cat, and ate it up.


That the horrific struggle to establish a human self results in a self whose humanity is inseparable from that horrific struggle. That our endless and impossible journey toward home is in fact our home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"The deep irony of modern life is that, looking around us, cynicism and despair are rational responses to the world’s problems. But, at the same time, they only serve to reinforce and deepen the status quo."

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/12579/a_puritans_dilemma/

Anonymous said...

The story of civilization as a club with members made of human beings. Membership required either a reserved seat or significant contribution. In the absence of neither a provisional memmbership was granted per acceptance of a life of restricted freedom.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I also write poems sometime on the way going Salsa dancing, when not writing papers. Here is one:

32 is not a prime number!
I like Boston Organic's cucumber!
...
Even though I'm not in my prime,
Although I'm running out of time,
But, my poems still rhyme!